Employment and Volunteering
Connections Program Associate – Paid Internship
Deadline for Applications: Position open until job is filled
Job Description: River Forest Public Library is searching for an enthusiastic Connections Program Associate to lead our weekly gaming and movie programs for youth in grades 5-8. With guidance from the Middle School and Teen Librarian, the Connections Program Associate will work on planning and implementing this bustling weekly program. There may also be opportunities to assist the Teen Services staff with programs for patrons in both middle and high school. This position is ideal for those who want to develop their programming skills while working with young teens. Additional hours to staff teen programs may be available on an intermittent basis. Extended employment opportunity may become available.
The Connections Program Associate will assist the Middle School and Teen Librarian in developing programs supported by the Youth Services of Oak Park River Forest Township by:
- Planning a variety of engaging programs featuring gaming and movies
- Implementing said programs
- Compiling attendance data for reporting purposes
- Evaluation of each of their program sessions.
Part Time: an average of 3 hours each week; Friday afternoons throughout the school year.
A college degree and experience working with young teens is required. A working knowledge of popular movies, games, and interests, such as Minecraft, Exploding Kittens, Divergent, etc. is preferred. A knowledge and appreciation of middle grade literature and the developmental needs young teens is important. The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work independently and exercise initiative. Preference will be given to students enrolled in an accredited MLS or MLIS program.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Salary information: 13.25/hour
Contact Information: Beth Kirchenberg, Middle School and Teen Librarian
Current Employment Opportunities
Manager of Materials Services
Deadline for Applications: November 30, 2015
Job Description: Would you like to work in an innovative, forward-looking library where customer service is a priority? The River Forest Public Library is seeking a tech savvy, detail oriented leader to manage our library circulation and technical services functions and staff. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are vital to this position. The ideal candidate will have effective managerial, interpersonal, organizational, technical, and analytical skills, and thrive in a team-based environment that interacts with a wide variety of personalities—both internally and externally.
The Manager of Materials Services must develop an increasing level of internal and external customer satisfaction by:
- Creating a friendly, patron-focused environment that welcomes community members of all ages so that they may utilize the library’s resources to their fullest potential.
- Investigating, evaluating, and implementing innovative practices in the areas of library circulation and technical services processing such that we measurably improve our library’s responsiveness to patron needs.
- Hiring, training, evaluating, and mentoring a part-time staff of 10 employees.
- Developing outreach strategies to expand our patron base and to increase the usage of library materials and services by currently registered patrons.
- Supervising the procedures and records related to overdue or lost materials while emphasizing courtesy and respect towards all library customers.
- Maintaining and reporting all circulation data and statistical reports, for Library Board reports and interdepartmental use.
- Creating and maintaining staff procedure manuals for all aspects of circulation and catalog functions of the Syrsi Dynix system.
Necessary skills and abilities:
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with internal and external customers.
- Highly organized, flexible, and able to multi-task.
- Ability to take a big-picture view while maintaining attention to detail.
- Is experienced with MS Office and skilled with Excel.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to exercise initiative and make independent decisions.
- Ability to think creatively, evaluate and fine-tune strategies, implement new ideas, and optimize solutions in all aspects of the job.
- Openness to new ideas.
Full Time: 37.5 hours week
- Two years supervisory experience in a customer service environment, which must include hiring, training and evaluation of staff.
- M.L.S. from A.L.A. accredited school or B.A. Marketing/Sales degree with library experience.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as scheduled.
- Technology proficient self-starter and quick learner with advanced software skills.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Salary Range: $36,401-$43,251
Sue Quinn, Assistant Director
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Visit our Adopt-A-Shelf page to learn more about this important volunteer opportunity.
The library occasionally has additional volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer form here.
If you are looking for other volunteer activities please visit the OPRF Volunteer Center’s website. They regularly list wonderful local opportunities!