Employment and Volunteering
Current Employment Opportunities
Manager of Children’s Services
Deadline for Applications: December 14, 2013
Job Description: Would you like to work in an innovative, forward-looking library where customer service is a priority? Are your ideal co-workers fun-loving, creative, hard-working individuals who are open to new ideas? If you have a passion for books, technology and helping children fall in love with the library, then this is the job for you.
River Forest Public Library is searching for a data-driven, customer-service oriented team player with proven management skills who will lead an already successful department to new heights.
The Manager of Children’s Services must:
• Create a friendly, welcoming environment that is focused on families with kids ages birth-10 years in the community so that they may utilize the library’s resources to their fullest potential.
• Recruit, manage, support, and evaluate staff working in the children’s department.
• Formulate metrics-driven evaluations of collections and services where possible
• In accordance with Library policies and procedures, manage the collection of materials for children ages birth-10 across all formats.
• Create and implement appropriate programming for kids ages birth-10 years, their families, and the community.
• Cooperate with colleagues and contribute to the seamless integration and deliver of library resources.
• Serve as an advocate for families with children ages birth-10 years within the library and the larger community
• Develop and implement successful outreach strategies to reach families with children ages birth-10 years, and those who work with them.
• Actively promote a lifelong love of reading, learning and libraries throughout the community.
• Seek and develop new relationships for the library with community stakeholders.
• Develop and execute new marketing activities and initiatives, including advertising, to promote the library.
• Manage the delivery of marketing materials to external community locations;
Necessary skills and abilities:
• Genuine enthusiasm for working with and connecting with children ages birth-10 years and their families as well as the general public
• Highly organized, flexible and able to multi-task.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and clear oral and written expression.
• Ability to take a big-picture view while maintaining attention to detail.
• Openness to new ideas.
• Strong problem solving, and decision-making skills.
• Familiarity with a broad range of reading genres and subjects.
• A broad knowledge and appreciation of literature for children.
• Ability to think creatively, evaluate and fine-tune strategies, implement new ideas and optimize solutions in all aspects of the job.
• Experience with emerging technologies and their application in a library setting.
Full/part time: Full Time: 37.5 hoursweek
• MLS from an ALA accredited school.
• At least three years of experience working with children and their families in a library setting.
• At least one year supervisory experience.
• Ability to work nights and weekends as scheduled.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and a car
To apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Sue Quinn, email@example.com.
Salary Range: $41,014–$51,268
Sue Quinn, Head of Strategic Planning
735 Lathrop Avenue
River Forest IL 60305
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Visit our Adopt-A-Shelf page to learn more about this important volunteer opportunity.
The library occasionally has additional volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer form here.
If you are looking for other volunteer activities please visit the OPRF Volunteer Center’s website. They regularly list wonderful local opportunities!