Employment and Volunteering
Current Employment Opportunities
Job Description: Would you like to work in an innovative, forward-looking library where customer service is a priority? Are your ideal co-workers fun-loving, creative, hard-working individuals who are open to new ideas? If you have a passion for books, technology, and connecting your community with the library, then this is the job for you. River Forest Public Library is searching for a data-driven, customer-service oriented team player with proven management skills who will lead an already successful department to new heights. The ideal candidate will have solid experience with collection management and programming for adults, and possess outstanding reader’s advisory skills.
The Manager of Adult Services must:
● Create a friendly, welcoming environment that is focused on helping the community to utilize the library’s resources to their fullest potential.
● Recruit, manage, evaluate, and mentor part-time employees who staff the Adult and Teen Services desk.
● Formulate metrics-driven evaluations of collections and services where possible.
● In accordance with Library policies and procedures, manage the collection of materials for adults across all formats, keeping abreast of user demands.
● Create and implement appropriate programming for adults with a specific focus on serving older adults and seniors.
● Collaborate with colleagues from other departments, especially the Teen and Middle School Librarian and the Manager of Virtual Services.
● Work well with patrons of all ages, especially middle-school aged students.
● Cooperate with colleagues and contribute to the seamless integration and delivery of library resources including digital content.
● Serve as an advocate for older adults and seniors within the library and in the larger community.
● Seek and develop new relationships for the library with community stakeholders.
● Work with colleagues to develop and execute new outreach strategies and marketing activities and initiatives to promote library collections and services.
● Actively promote a lifelong love of reading, learning and libraries throughout the community.
Necessary skills and abilities:
● Genuine enthusiasm for working with and connecting with older adults and seniors, as well as the general public
● Highly organized, flexible and able to multi-task.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and clear oral and written expression.
● Ability to take a big-picture view while maintaining attention to detail.
● Openness to new ideas.
● Strong problem solving, and decision-making skills.
● Familiarity with a broad range of reading genres and subjects.
● Ability to think creatively, evaluate and fine-tune strategies, implement new ideas and optimize solutions in all aspects of the job.
● Experience with emerging technologies and their application in a library setting.
Full/part time: Full Time: 37.5 hours week
Salary Range: $41,629–$51,268
● MLS from an ALA accredited school.
● At least three years of experience working with adults in a library setting.
● At least one year supervisory experience.
● Ability to work nights and weekends as scheduled.
● Must have a valid driver’s license and a car
Please review our Strategic Plan to learn more about our Library.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sue Quinn, Assistant Director
735 Lathrop Avenue River Forest IL 60305
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Visit our Adopt-A-Shelf page to learn more about this important volunteer opportunity.
The library occasionally has additional volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer form here.
If you are looking for other volunteer activities please visit the OPRF Volunteer Center’s website. They regularly list wonderful local opportunities!