December 2008 Suggestions
348. IL. Q: Please purchase the following items for the library’s collection: The Villa Mysteries, The Sacred Cut and The Seventh Sacrament, all by author David Hewson.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We currently own The Villa Mysteries and The Sacred Cut. We will purchase The Seventh Sacrament for the library and place a hold for you so that you receive it first when it arrives. Please do not hesitate to ask in the future if you need assistance finding titles or if you would like to make additional requests.
349. IL. Q: Please purchase the following items for the library’s collection: Breaking the Chains of Culture: Building Trust in Individuals, Teams and Organizations by George Vukotich, Ph.D. (Local resident)
A: Thank you for the suggestion. We will purchase this title.
350. OL. Q: Please give consideration to adding this book to the library’s collection. It’s receiving a lot of acclaim from people working in the film business: Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc by Dara Marks, Ph. D.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider adding this book to the library’s collection. If we do decide to purchase it we will let you know.
351. OL. Q: Could you order The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill?
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We actually do own this book, published under a different title. The book is called Someone Knows My Name and it can be found in the library under the call number FICTION HILL. Please let us know if you need assistance finding this title.
352. IL Q: More Gone with the Winds!
A: Thank you for your input. Could you let us know if you are referring to the book or the movie? We currently own three copies of the book, one audiobook, one DVD and one VHS version of this title. Let us know if we can help you find similar titles in the future.
353. IL Q: You should have more than 1 phone and Express Lane. The Kid’s Room should be bigger with an extra computer, and more programs.
A: Thank you for your suggestions. The library has recently invested in several new computers that middle school students have access to between the hours of 3 and 5pm. In the future, the library may consider purchasing other computers, including self-checkout stations, for other areas of patron use. At this time we do not plan on adding another courtesy phone, but please let the front desk staff know if you have an emergency and the phone is in use. Thank you for your interest in programming. Please let us know what types of programs you would like to see at the library, and we will do our best to accommodate your suggestions.
354. IL Q: Purchase suggestion: books on scholarships for college students.
A: We currently have 2 books available in the library with scholarship information. These are Peterson’s scholarships, Grants & Prizes 2008 and The Ultimate Scholarship Book 2009. We will look into purchasing additional material in this area. We can also inter-library loan books for you and help you find information online as well. Thank you for your suggestion.
355. IL Q: Be more considerate to all ages…slow to anger. Lovely library.
A: Thank you for your comment. Our library staff aims to treat all patrons with respect, patience and friendly service. We will continue to make this a priority in the future, and appreciate your bringing this to our attention. Thank you for your compliment as well. We are glad that you enjoy the library and hope you will continue to inform us of how we might serve you better.
356. IL Q: Purchase suggestion: Scorpion King volume 2 DVD.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider your request.
357. IL Q: Purchase suggestion: Wanted and Changeling on DVD.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We have ordered The Changeling and will consider adding Wanted to the collection.
November 2008 Suggestions
336. OL. Q: Please purchase the following item for the library’s collection: The Police: Certifiable CD/DVD set.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider adding this title to our collection.
337. OL. I am a RF resident and would like to request that the RF library look into offering online language courses. I do know that Oak Park library will soon offer the Mango Language program to its residents only as an online course. As a RF resident I would have to go into the library and use this course in the library itself.
A:Thank you so much for letting me know your interest in the library offering online language learning software. I have been looking into the possibility of purchasing the Mango Languages program. I am glad to know you are interested and will keep that in mind when considering purchasing Mango Languages.
-Blaise Dierks, Head of Adult Services
338. OL. Dear River Forest Public Library, I would like to recommend a title for the library’s American Literature/Fiction Collection. Title: A Matter of Men (Bilingual Edition) Author: Benito Pastoriza Iyodo Released: September 2008
A:Thank you for your suggestion. I will explore this author further and look into possibly purchasing some of his books for our library. Would you like to be contacted if we do acquire any of his books? Blaise Dierks, Head of Adult Services
339. OL. Have you considered having a puzzle table set up – adult/1000 piece puzzles?? It would be nice to de-stress at the puzzle table when I come in w/my kids. I know my sister’s library in Boston has this and her 12-yr old son often likes to work at the puzzle w/his mom. I like that idea. What do you think?
A:Thank you for your suggestion. Our library staff has discussed it and we are considering implementing your idea in the near future. We feel strongly about our library being a place where the community can gather and participate in different activities. Let us know if you have additional suggestions in the future, as we always welcome patron interaction.
340. IL. Purchase more children’s books in the adult section- like thinner books.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. Currently our materials are shelved together according to general reading level and content, so our Children’s area is separate from the Adult area. If you ever need help finding a book to suit your reading level or if you are looking for a book with a shorter length, please ask at a Reference desk and a librarian should be able to suggest something to your liking.
341. IL. Please purchase more titles by Paramore.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We currently own the CD, Riot! by Paramore, and have ordered All We Know is Falling and The Final Riot. Please ask at a Reference desk if you need assistance requesting additional titles that the library does not currently own.
342. IL. DVD purchase suggestions: The Love Guru, Don’t Mess With the Zohan, But I’m a Cheerleader.
A:Thank you for your suggestions. The library currently owns Don’t Mess With the Zohan, and have ordered The Love Guru. We will consider But I’m a Cheerleader.
343. IL. Purchase suggestions: The Simpsons Comics. I think you could get more and have a little bit of variety, so more people can check them out.
A:Thanks so much for your suggestion that the library purchase more Simpsons comic books. Since comic books are so popular, I regularly add new ones to the collection. Do you have any specific suggestions? I have a few Simpsons books on my list to order this month and will email you once they are ordered so that you can place holds if you wish. Also, you might be interested in joining the RFPL Comics Club. We meet one Friday evening a month to select comic books, manga, and graphic novels for the library to purchase, show movies, play games, do crafts, and hang out and talk about comics. We always have snacks. Our next comics meeting won’t be until January, though. Let me know if you are interested in joining and I will send you the information. Thanks again for your suggestion.
-Margaret Oellrich, Head of Young Adult Services
344. IL. I think you should have more computers and not those broke down beat up ones. And some food here.
A:Thank you for your suggestions. We will have more computers by the start of the New Year. While we may provide an occasional snack for a program, as a library providing food is not part of our mission to our patrons.
345. IL. You guys should have a café in the library for people who are really hungry.
A:Thank you for your input. The library currently does not provide refreshments, and we understand that this may be frustrating to you. Our current facilities are not equipped for a café, however we note your interest and will consider it in future plans for the library.
346. IL. Bring back the class- “How to Sell Things on EBay”!
A:Thank you for your interest. We have had a positive response to our EBay programs in the past, and will consider scheduling more of them in the future.
347. IL. Please consider for purchase The Vertigo Years by Philipp Blom.
A:Thank you for your interest in this title. We have ordered this book for the library, and we will place you on a waiting list so that you will be able to check it out once it arrives.
October 2008 Suggestions
330. IL.Please purchase the following DVDs: Forgetting Sarah Marshall and 8 Movies to See Before You Die.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We currently own Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and will consider purchasing the 8 Movies to See Before You Die.
331. OL. This book was written by a local Chicago author who was part of Project Greenlight with Ben Affleck & Matt Damon and also happens to be a friend of mine. Could you consider purchasing a copy for the library?
Like Dizzy Gillespie’s Cheeks (Paperback)
by Scott E Smith (Author)
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will purchase the title Dizzy Gillespie’s Cheeks for the library.
332. OL. I wish to note that my daughter has had the time of her life, spending her day at the library. She not only reads more, but also reads better (with help from the librarians). I am sorry, but I have to go, my daughter wants to read to me! Thanks.
A:Thank you for sharing your encouraging comments with us. We are happy to have your daughter here and hope your whole family will come enjoy the library often!
333. IL. Patron expressed concern that the water fountain near the library on Lathrop Avenue was not operational.
A:We apologize for the inconvenience. We have contacted the Park District with this concern, and they have informed us that during the winter months the water fountains are turned off. They will be turned on again in the spring, but in the meantime there are several drinking fountains inside the library building, and you are welcome to stop in and use them during our open hours. Thank you for letting us know about this issue.
334. OL. Dear RF Library Reference Librarian, would you please provide an Ipod with the following unabridged audio recordings, all by Isaac Asimov: Prelude to Foundation, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Forward the Foundation.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately these titles are not available on Itunes. Please let us know of any other titles you are interested in.
335. OL. Hello…I recently authored a fantasy novel entitled Cross-Winds…I have friends and family in the area and would appreciate it if your library could put a copy of Cross-Winds on your shelf.…Thank you for your time and consideration.
A:We will consider your book for purchase in our library. Thank you very much for passing along your information.
September 2008 Suggestions
325. IL. Please purchase the book 365 Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider purchasing this title. In the meantime, did you know that the library owns a similar title? It is called 365 Super Science Experiments with Everyday Materials, and you can find it in the Children’s Room under the call number J 530.078 BRE.
326. IL. Please purchase the DVDs The DaVinci Code and Baby Mama.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. The library actually owns the DVD The DaVinci Code, and you can find it in the library under the call number DVD DAV. We will consider purchasing Baby Mama.
327. IL. Please purchase a Mac computer so that patrons with Macs can also use the Ipod services available at the library.
A:Thank you for your input. At this time the library only owns PCs. We realize that this may present an inconvenience for you, and will consider your suggestion.
328. IL. You can get more people in the ASK program by having more parties. But people that come every day for the whole week should get the treats only, cuz some only come for food.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider your ideas for increasing attendance at the ASK program. Currently the ASK program is a drop-in program, so children and teens may attend on the days that they choose.
329. IL. I was recently at the Riverside Library returning materials and I noticed that they have several book shelves with bins on them. Those bins are for the collection of items to be recycled or donated. For example, there is a bin for eye glasses to be given to Lyons Township, old cell phones to a shelter, used batteries for recycling, aluminum tabs for the Ronald McDonald House and box tops from General Mills products for different school fundraisers…it did not take up much space. Perhaps our library could do the same. I would be willing to help with this project. The Riverside Library personnel are receptive to a phone call to share information.
A:Thank you for your input. We currently do not accept these items for donation or recycling, but there are several local businesses that do provide these services. Corus Bank on Lake Street does accept used eyeglasses for donation, and Roosevelt Junior High School next door to the library accepts used printer cartridges and cell phones for donation and recycling. We will consider your suggestion.
June 2008 Suggestions
321. IL. Please get the newest Disturbed CD and the newest Scum of the Earth CD for the library.
A:Thank you for your suggestions. “Disturbed” appears to be a much loved heavy metal band and we look forward to reviewing their opus.
322. IL. Be more considerate of teens.
A:We welcome our teens and are sorry for any inconsiderate behavior you have experienced. We look forward to having some great fun in the coming year!
323. IL. Please buy the following: Borderland, Unearthed, Tooth and Nail, Crazy Eights, Nightmare Man, The Deaths of Ian Stone, Lake Dead and Mulberry Street.
A:Thank you for your suggestions. Do you have specific albums in mind? If so let us know.
324. IL. I’m a Senior Citizen living on Social Security fixed income. I’d find great relief in not having to pay $1.00 for film, since I’m a frequent movie viewer. I also belong to both of your book discussion groups. The library is full time for me, but I’ll have to curtail films at $1.00 each. Oak Park Library movies are free, but I can’t afford to pay for the gasoline for the transportation to Oak Park.
A:We are sorry that this presents a hardship for you. We cannot promise a reduction, however we will revisit our policy with respect to the $1.00 charge.
May 2008 Suggestions
320. IL. Get benches outside so people can sit down without ants crawling on them.
A:Your suggestion is in the works. We hope to have two benches installed in the front of the library by the end of the month.
April 2008 Suggestions
316. IL. I believe that you should start having food for children in the ASK Program .
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider it.
317. IL. I think you should get the following Horror Movies: Shutter (2005), The Maid (2005), The Ghost (2004), and Silk (2006).
A:Thank you for your input! We are happy to consider adding these movies to our collection.
318. IL. I think you should loan out projectors to view PowerPoint presentations, etc.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will give our best consideration your request.
319. IL. Please get the following CDS: Panic! At the Disco and Tokyo Hotel
A:Thank you for your input. This sounds like an intriguing title! We will consider your request.
March 2008 Suggestions
311. IL: Put a bench or chairs outside.
A:Thank you for your suggestion.
312. IL: We’d appreciate if you’d get another internet computer so that people won’t have to wait so long to get a computer if there is an emergency.
Thank you for your suggestion. In the meantime please let us know if an emergency should arise. We will accomodate as best we can.
313. IL: Please purchase books on how to travel alone.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will forward it to our librarian. Please note that such books may also be available through the consortium that we belong to; you can order them and within a
couple of days they will be delivered to your library.
314. IL: Stop being so picky about the teen and childrens library because if you are able to be in the childrens library to get on the computer then you no matter who should be able to color. Because if your not in high school your still considered a child. Its not fair cuz when other people are on the grey carpet they don’t say anything.
A:Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do our best to be accomodating; sometimes though this is difficult because different age groups have different needs and we do not always
have the space to be as accomodating as we would like.
315. IL: My friend and I were just coloring in the children room. When this librarian cames up to us and says we have to leave because we are in 7th grade. But if we can use the child computers that means that we are still a child so we should be able to go in the childrens room. Can’t you please get your rules straight. Its kind of annoying that we don’t have our rights to color.
A:Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will try to be more consistent.
February 2008 Suggestions
308. IL: Please order Superbad on DVD and Step Up 2 when it comes out.
A:Thank you for these suggestions. They have been forwarded to our staff for consideration.
309. IL: I miss the Donuts for Dads title. It was nice to have a program calling Dads to come out and spend time with their children. I’ve watched games, creating, reading between dads and kids over the years and I hate to see the program slowly turn into another program for Moms and caregivers to add to their list.
A:We appreciate your input on our library program. We will consider the structure of the program and what it will be called in the future.
310. IL: Leaky windows! The windows, particularly the one on the right in the toy corner of the childrens department, leak. Lots of heat is lost there, not to mention, it’s cold.
A:Thank you for alerting us to this situation. We will contact the appropriate service provider to have this looked into.
January 2008 Suggestions
304. IL: Please fix the kid’s level hand dryer in the bathroom.
A:We have checked the hand dryer and it is operational.
305. IL: Something need to be provided to children waiting in the library to be pick up. Children section was extremely noisy. Kids were doing nothing.
A:The RFPL provides an After School Kids (ASK) program every full day during the District 90 school year. It is a voluntary program hosted in the meeting room that provides a Coordinator and various programs for middle school children. During the transition from school to after school, it can be noisy as kids arrive, sign on to computers and get settled. We apologize if the noise level was too high. The Library is currently evaluating options to dedicate more space for the growing middle school/teen population.
306. IL: On the last few trip I have noticed a sewer smell – mainly at the entrance and a little upstairs.
A:Thank you for your concern. Our maintenance team investigated and fixed the problem.
307. IL: On Thursday after story hour, my car wouldn’t start. AAA said it would take 2 hours for help to arrive. It was lunch time and I had a hungry 2 year old. Two librarians jumped in to help, as I was visibly distressed. They found a snack for my son and water and Kleenex for me while we waited. In the meantime, another parent offered to go get her car to jump start my car. The library had truly formed a community for me! As we are new to the area, this not only truly helped, but helped me feel welcomed and cared for. Thank you!
A:Thank you for taking to time to give us this feedback. The staff at the RFPL strives to provide excellent customer service and do whatever we can to help in situations like this. We are glad that we could be of assistance and are happy to have you join us at the library. Welcome to the community.