You may view suggestions from 2010 here, or click on the links to view older suggestions.
IL=Suggestion Made In Library OL=Online Suggestion
427. IL Suggestion:
Could we please have a “sitting area” on the ground floor for those of us who need to gather our materials or use our laptops, or just get our coats, etc.
A.Thank you for your suggestion. We understand that the entryway is not always ideal for meeting these needs. We have recently shifted some furniture on the ground floor, and will continue to address the space issues of the library as they arise in the future.
428. IL Comment:
I think your purchaser is doing a marvelous job, and readily to suggestions under consideration. The ladies that work at the Circulation Desk are the nicest people I’ve met at any library. To me this is one of the best operated libraries (even Oak Park) and I’m glad I’ve become a member, I encourage all my friends to do the same.
A. Thank you for your sharing your feedback with us. We are pleased that you are satisfied with our service and materials selection. We do have several librarians who share purchasing duties for different areas of the collection, and we hope they are all meeting your needs. We are glad that you enjoy our Circulation staff. Please continue to tell your friends about your positive experiences about RFPL, both online and in person if you are able.
423. IL Suggestion:
When using RF computers, it would be much more convenient to have the patron’s account pop up after logging on. The SWAN login is so involved that doing it twice is a hassle. Thanks.
A. Thank you for your suggestion. We apologize that the login process is time consuming. The reservation system that we currently use for patron computers does require this in order to maintain patron record information and privacy. We will explore options using this software to shorten the login process. The SWAN online catalog is a separate website that comprises the catalog records for 80 member libraries, and unfortunately River Forest Public Library does not control this interface. We will forward your request for a shortened login to SWAN staff. Thank you for your understanding.
424. IL Suggestion:
Please consider play reading groups. The wonderful works of Shakespeare, or any drama, could be shared together, each person having a part. What a beautiful way to spend a winter afternoon!
A. Thank you for your sharing your idea with us. Your suggestion has been forwarded to the Head of Adult Services, Blaise Dierks. Please feel free to follow up with Blaise in person if you wish to speak with her further about this suggestion.
425. IL Suggestion:
New DVD shelving. DVDs are very difficult to view and read from your shelves.
A. Thank you for your suggestion. We agree that the current DVD shelving is not optimal for browsing. In the past year we have added a center aisle display shelf to help with this problem. We will continue to explore additional options to make browsing easier for our patrons.
426. IL Suggestion:
I am a college student at Dominican. I would like it if college students didn’t have to renew their library card subscriptions every semester. Yearly would be more convenient!
A. Thank you for your suggestion. Your request was forwarded to our Head of Circulation and was taken under consideration. The policy was then changed, in order to coincide with River Forest Public Library Teacher cards. The new policy is as follows:
“Beginning with cards issued after January 1st, 2011, RFPL Student library cards will expire on August 31 each year. Any Student card issued before June 2011 would have an expiration of August 31, 2011. Student cards issued for the 2011-2012 Academic School Year will expire on August 31, 2012.”
Please let us know if you have any questions about this policy change. We hope you find this information useful.
421. IL Purchase Suggestion:
Mac computers. Mac computers will be very useful in the meeting room (Connections room) because students are always looking for Macs to do school work on, but are not available at their home. Installed with necessary typing programs it will be great!
A.Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us. The Library is currently in the process of deploying new PCs to replace several of our older and malfunctioning machines. In addition, we are working on bringing a fiberoptic Internet connection to the library, to improve Internet speed and performance for our patrons and staff. In the future we will consider additional options for library technology but we do not plan to purchase Mac computers at this time.
422. IL Purchase Suggestion: This library needs a movie called The Click. Additional Comments: You shouldn’t have to pay for DVDs.
A.Thank you for your comments. We do not own a movie called The Click, but we would be happy to request this title from another library for you. Please ask at one of our service desks if you are looking for a title and cannot find it on the shelf or in the catalog. Regarding the charge for DVDs, we have modified our policy within the past year and currently offer several options to reduce the checkout cost of DVDs to our patrons. If you have a River Forest Library card, you may come to the library every Wednesday and check out 2 free DVDs. Additionally, you may check out nonfiction (Documentary, Biography) DVDs at any time for free with your River Forest Library card. We hope this information is helpful to you.
416. OL Purchase Suggestion: Wherever You are, My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman
A:Thank you for your suggestion.
417. IL Suggestion:
*Room with fun things like trampolines
Thank you for your suggestions. Your comments will be noted as we move forward with space improvements to the library. One of the elements of our current Strategic Plan is to “Care For and Improve the Library Building”, and optimizing our space is a priority.
418. IL Suggestion: A bench for out front by the River Forest sign or the mailbox. The after school kids sometimes wait to be picked up. They stand in front or by the door waiting. A bench would help so they could be seen by parents driving by.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider your request for adding seating to the front of the library.
419. IL Suggestion: For the TBS you guys should make it where coins could be put in the TBS.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. The TBS machine that adds value to library cards does not accept coins, and we apologize for the inconvenience. If you need to add value to your card, please ask at a service desk and we will assist you with your request. Our TBS copy machine pay stations do accept coins. Please ask a staff member if you would like assistance using the machine on your next visit.
420. IL Comment: Very Good Library! I have lots of suggestions about the library, it’s a very good library and I really like it and love it. If I was older I will come every day. Thanks and bye!
A:Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoy your time at the library!
413. IL Purchase Suggestion: More Teaching Company courses. They are excellent…please consider a presentation of the fantastic “Teaching Company Courses” such as: “Understanding Opera”. It would coalesce well with your Lyric series. Also, please consider presenting a DVD of the Teaching Company course: “Understanding the Human Body”. The study guides could be photocopied and used in the DVD presentation. With proper publicity and preparation, this could be a memorable and transforming event! The available first floor room could be perfect! Perhaps a River Forest cardholder with a medical background could volunteer to moderate and answer questions. Try it. People love to learn. And learning is fun, with Teaching Company tapes. Think outside the box…
A: Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider adding additional Teaching Company courses. We will consider your program suggestion. We currently have an additional opera related program planned for September 14th at 7:00 p.m., entitled Opera in Pop Culture.
414. IL Purchase Suggestions: Alice in Wonderland DVD, Requiem for a Dream book.
A: Thanks for your suggestions. We do own both the 1999 Hallmark entertainment version of Alice in Wonderland on DVD as well as the 2010 version of Alice in Wonderland on both DVD and Blu-Ray. We also do own Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby. Please let us know if you are having trouble searching our catalog and we would be happy to assist you. Our librarians are also happy to help you find items if you don’t see what you are looking for on the shelf.
415. 0L Suggestion: Hello! As a regular patron of the River Forest Library, it is hard not to notice the lack of landscaping at the main entrance. I have a suggestion for a community event to fulfill this need. This time of year is perfect for community members to donate plants. Personally, I have several hostas and black-eyed susans that need dividing. it would be a win-win for all parties involved; they donate excess plants and the library can complete the landscaping without touching the budget. If this is something you think would be worthwhile, I would be happy to participate in moving this along. It may be too late to start for this fall, but planning could be put into place to start next spring. Thank you.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. Landscaping the exteriors is on the list of upcoming planned improvements, as it is an element of our Strategic Plan to “Care for and Improve our Library”. In recent months we have focused on repairing the HVAC system, repairing our failing roof, and making renovations in our Children’s Room. We will discuss your idea with our Library Board Facilities Committee and will follow up with you in the near future.
411. IL Suggestion: Whenever I use the RFPL computers they’re extremely slow. It’s the same when I use the library catalog computers as well. Is there a way to make things work faster?
A:Thank you for sharing your concerns about Internet speed at the library. Additional patrons and library staff have expressed similar concerns. With these concerns in mind and our Strategic Plan as a guide, we have investigated options for upgrading Internet connections at the library. Our plan is to install a Fiberoptic line in order to dramatically increase bandwidth and ensure that our Internet services will be in excellent shape for the future. We will keep patrons informed as to the progress of the upgrades. We appreciate your patience as we aim to provide a long term solution to this problem.
412. IL Suggestion: Love the new look in the Children’s Room! But, can we please have a cushy space to cuddle and read? You took it away!
A:We have ordered 2 lounge chairs for the Childrens Room to provide seating for shared quiet reading. They are scheduled to be delivered in early September along with new seating for the play area, and new tables and chairs adjacent to the non-fiction shelves. Thank you for your patience as we complete updates to our space.
409. IL Suggestion: It is freezing at the DVD collection on the 2nd floor– and it is hot at the checkout counter.
A:Thank you for your comment. Because the air vents near the DVD collection are part of the system that regulates the temperature on the west side of the library, we cannot turn them off completely or the temperature would rise on that side of the library. However, we will keep the thermostat that regulates those vents at a slightly higher temperature and at a lower speed while the air conditioning is on in the summer months. We hope this will help make browsing the DVDS more comfortable. Within the past year, we installed an air curtain at the front door of the library to help control the temperature at the entryway. This air curtain works to keep outside temperatures from affecting the foyer area. Please let us know if you experience unusual heat or cold again in the library.
410. IL Suggestion: Please purchase more DVD Courses by The Teaching Company. They are only a trifle more dear than CD versions. Please do not eliminate the magazine: “Saturday Evening Post”. Was it not founded by Benjamin Franklin in 1728? Place it in a prominent place in R.F.L. As far as ESPN and INC, lose them both yesterday…Please investigate whether “straight A” students in the area would like to present a ten minute presentation to an appreciative audience at R.F.L., their choice of topic. Public speaking is the key to success in any field…make this a “party” and charm kids into using their minds, in public…turn R.F.L. into a “lighted schoolhouse” for the young. Inspire young minds, encourage confidence. If you need a recitation of 1776, 1789, 1863, Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln, I would be honored to recite from memory, even though I am far from “young”. I am 62.
A:Thank you for your input. We will consider your suggestions regarding the library collection. We will also consider your suggestion to hold public speaking programs for students in the area. We are continually looking for new ways to engage young adults in learning. We do host a wide variety of programs for young people, including SAT test preparation programs and other educational and recreational offerings. We also provide educational programs for adults throughout the fall, winter and spring. Program information is available on our website as well as in the library. Please ask a staff member if you would like additional assistance learning about library programs.
405. IL Suggestion: Are you ever going to have some landscaping done in the front of the library? It looks so barron! (sic) Other public buildings in River Forest have beautiful flowers, grasses, etc. Is it lack of money?
A:Thank you for your comment. Landscaping the exteriors is on the short list as it is an element of our Strategic Plan “Care for and Improve our Library”.
So far we have concentrated on things that are broken, potentially hazardous or will make the biggest difference to our patrons. For example, repairing the HVAC system, repairing and replacing failing roofs, and making much needed renovations in our Children’s Room, and upgrades in the library.
406. IL Suggestion: Could you check out a DVD for free on your birthday? Could you have a coupon to use?
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We have recently modified our DVD checkout policy, and will consider your comments for further changes. Please be sure to follow up as changes are coming.
407. IL Suggestion: Let everyone with a card get the freebies! Why discriminate?
A: Thank you for your suggestion. Our intention in changing the DVD policy was not to discriminate. We will consider your comments for future changes. See above.
408. IL Suggestion: Please don’t waste taxpayer money on “Kindle”, or so-called “digital media”, or “play-aways”. Please stop. Books are special. Real books. I am very deeply disturbed at this new intrusion of “digital audio”, “playaway” and “Kindle” material. Why? Tell me honestly, why is this foot in the door coming to River Forest Library? Cassettes, Compact Discs, real books with real pages are here now. Leave them alone. Please…if it is not broken, please, do not try to fix it. Books are sacred… Books are sacred… Books are sacred…
A: Thank you for your comments.
We agree. Books are sacred. Authors work long and hard to share what they have mastered in their works of non-fiction and their vision of the world in their works of fiction. This content nourishes our hearts and minds. Books have always been one of best means for sharing this nourishment and libraries are one of the best places where all are welcome to share.
Our intent at River Forest Public Library is a simple one: We would like to reach as many people as possible so that they may benefit from the hard work of our authors, thus helping their work to reach it’s highest and best use. Sometimes people can only listen to a book in their car. Sometimes they can read more books if they are on a portable digital device. We wish to fulfill the dream of knowledge: that it become ubiquitous and in so doing meet and engage as many people as possible.
Over the course of our last fiscal year, we added over 7,500 new items to the collection. The overwhelming majority were books. As formats change in the future, we will continue to move forward and embrace changes, while maintaining the collection of classic formats that are still in use. Indeed, one of the primary tenets of our current Strategic Plan is focused on providing “access to evolving information technology and traditional resources to meet personal, professional, and community needs”. Our sincere hope is that you will support us in this endeavor.
Please do contact us directly if you would like to explore these issues further.
404. IL Purchase Suggestion: A subscription to More magazine.
A:Thank you for your suggestion. The library has purchased More magazine and we expect to receive the first issue within 6-8 weeks. We will update you when it arrives!
403. OL Suggestion: Please consider getting Internet with higher speed! Pages take too long to load and I have found that multitasking tends to be aggravating. Thanks.
A: Thank you for your comment. Internet speed can be frustrating and this has been mentioned by a number of patrons. During the last 6 months we have worked to optimize our network software settings and to upgrade some hardware. We can only optimize so much though, before the actual bandwidth becomes the limiting factor.
We are now looking to optimize our bandwidth and expect to be coming to a short term solution within the next year. As the Internet and digital delivery across diverse formats increase in use and popularity, we will also explore the installation of a fiber-optic line. Our ultimate goal is to ensure a fast, easy and seamless connection to the Internet for all of our patrons and our staff, in support of our strategic plan initiative to enhance library technology.
401. IL Suggestion: Start a Creative Writing Club for Adults.
A: Thank you for your suggestion. In response to patron requests, we have planned to start the River Forest Public Library Adult Creative Writing Club. The first meeting will be held on March 29th, from 7-9 p.m. For further details, please contact Blaise Dierks at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the library at 708-366-5205.
402. IL Suggestion: A sign by the computer reminding users to sign out of sites like Yahoo before logging off the computers so the next person who logs on won’t have access to their account. Every time I log in to Yahoo here it greets me with someone else’s name and I have access to their email.
A: Thank you making us aware of this problem. Patron privacy is extremely important to us, and our public computer caches are cleared of any patron entered information each evening. However, we will investigate options to clear the cache of our public computers at the end of each session as well. In the interim, we will add language to our computer use signage reminding patrons to sign out of personal accounts.
398. IL Suggestion: Non Fiction DVDs- can they be free for other people besides River Forest?
A: Thank you for your suggestion. We recently modified our DVD rental policy, and will consider your comment for any additional future changes.
399. IL Comment: Please put out the R.F. Village Board meeting documents- Many times I come to look at the documents before I go to Village Board meetings and they are not available.
A: We apologize that this has been frustrating for you, and appreciate you letting us know about this situation. Our procedures for displaying Village Board documents have been addressed and updated, and will now be made available to the public on the day they are delivered to the library. Providing that the documents are delivered on time, they will be housed on the second floor reference shelves area at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled Village Board meeting date. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and we expect that this will resolve the issue.
400. IL Comment: It’s hard to get down to the bottom shelf. Please help.
A: Thank you for letting us know that this has been a problem for you. We try to keep materials shelved at a reasonable level from the ground, but unfortunately we often need to utilize the bottom shelf of our bookshelves due to a general lack of space. Please do ask a staff member to assist you if you would like to browse materials at this or any level that is not accessible to you. We apologize that we cannot provide a better solution at this time, but as we attempt to optimize our space we will prioritize shelving units that better accommodate our patrons’ browsing needs.